Monday, May 9, 2011

Garden week...

This is the time of the year where the art projects start to slow down a little and we spend all day out side. The backyard becomes our classroom and we spend all morning outside playing, learning, and exploring! I love our theme this week and I love this time of year. We are wrapping up our "school" year and the learning adventures outside start to take place.

Today we started talking about gardens. How food grows and the process it takes to get where we can eat it. Today for breakfast, the kids helped me out in the kitchen. They cleaned and washed the strawberries and cantaloupe and we made our very own fruit salad. "Fruit salad... yummy, yummy" (Okay- sorry Wiggle's song poppin into my head).

Our fruit salad...
They were happy to eat the fruit that they had helped prepare.


Then we moved on to our outside activities... starting our own veggie garden. So, anyone who knows me can tell ya I am not a garden, green thumb person. But I enjoy the process of gardening and the kids did too. I did cheat... I bought a starter set. We planted green beans, tomatoes, and peppers.

We each took turns planting the seeds...

We also compared the seeds... we talked about color, texture, and size.

We also learned that tomatoes and green beans came from South America as their origin and the peppers came from Mexico.

Our finished veggies...

All watered and ready to grow...
The kids were excited to plant them and have already checked on them several times today.


Our circle time books this week are, "Olivia plants a garden" and Bear and Bunny grow tomatoes". Both cute stories that share about all the hard work that goes into making a garden grow.

No comments: