Thursday, August 4, 2011

bugs, bugs, and more bugs...

Everyone getting ready for calendar and circle time... I love that my little ones are starting to take interest in this learning time. Today we talked about different types of insects: ants, beetles, bees,grass hoppers, moths, and flies. The kids were able to name a lot on their own.

Then we learned a cute little song, the kids had a blast with this:
There's a bug, There's a bug
On my knee, on my knee
Shoo, shoo, shoo, shoo, shoo, shoo
Now he's gone.

Each verse we changed the body part that the bug was on...

So many laughs and giggles during this song.

We chatted about crawling insects and flying insects.

After talking about insects we looked at them like an entomologist (a person who studies bugs) would do. We took turns with the microscope to see spiders, bees, and flies.

Our last activity was to make bug catchers. We had plastic cups with lids and we decorated them with bug stickers. If the rain lets up- after nap time we are going on a bug hunt.

Today's books were: "Bugs, bugs, bugs" and "Bumblebee, bumblebee, do you know me? "

On a completely different note, I received our first set of Scholastic book order forms for fall- WooHoo! I am so excited. There are a ton of books I can not wait to add to our library and learning time.

Peanut Gallery Daycare is having their first parent meeting this next week. I work with a great group of kids and parents but drop off/pick up times are different for everyone so we are having a meeting for the mom's and dad's. This is a time to go over some fantastic new changes and for the parents to socialize a little outside of the work day. I am super excited and can't wait for the meeting to take place!

No comments: