Thursday, September 8, 2011

Cubbies... and more rambling!

Tonight was our first night for our Awana Cubbies (and Tnt and Sparks programs) at church. Overall I am very pleased with how things went. Our program alone had over 80 (3-5 year old) attend. That is just awesome. We were prepared, but as prepared as we were things were still a little crazy.

As I reflected on the night I see areas that I need to work on such as our story time. I want to be able to bring more to the story time so the kids are not just sitting as I talk. With this many kids it is hard to find a balance of sitting and listening to stories and getting more involved. But... I will keep trying things until I find what works. I am a big fan of trail and error. Luckily for me, they are preschoolers and they are fairly forgiving.

I have big shoes to fill. The director before me was at our church for over 11 years, and 2 years with our Cubbies. She made this job look easy- she is my hero! She had a special bond and relationship with the kids. She has a special way of making kids feel welcome, loved, and safe. Even though I love working with kids, I don't have the relationships built yet and I pray that comes with time. I am trying to learn names of moms, dads, and most of all the kids. I hope a day comes soon that I will have that special something with the Cubbie kids. One of the Cubbie traditions is the treat sack. I really like this idea as it is a great way to connect with parents and kids as we say good bye. This might be the way I bribe myself into their life, and for now I am ok with that!

I could not ask for a better group of adults to work with. This is totally God's hand in this. I know there will be conflicts and different personality issues however 30+ adults volunteer their time and talents for this program each Wednesday night. Without this amazing group, Cubbies wouldn't happen. Even last night we had parents want to stay and help out wherever help was needed. God puts people in our life for a reason. To help serve, connect, and role model for our children. I can not say how much I am amazed by the people in my life right now. I have the best of both worlds right now. I get to interact with children and help share the word of God to them. I also get to connect with the adults and learn from them, watch as they teach and guide, and be inspired by the great works they are performing.

As soon as the night was finished, we (Thanks to a leader friend that stayed too) walked the halls to pick up everything from the club meeting. It was overwhelming to say the least. Overwhelmed, emotional, but all in a good way. Make any sense at all? It was the end to a long day. Every muscle in my legs were screaming at me. Along comes my hubby... I get a quick hug from him and my spirits are lifted again. There is something about seeing him after a long day that just changes everything. The support from the leaders, Dustin, and friends has just been great. More then I could ever ask for.

As this program continues until April, I ask for prayers. Not just for Cubbies but for all of the Awana programs. Pray for the leaders, the parents the rush to get their kids there each Wednesday, and most of all the kids that are involved in Awana.

No comments: