Friday, May 8, 2009

Child Care Provider Appreciation Day ...

Why I became a Daycare Provider
By Laura Fluke

When I was in college I would have never thought I would stay at home and watch children. I would never thought I would change poopy diapers and actually get paid for doing it. I never thought that dancing and singing songs really off key would bring smiles to 8 children every day... I never thought!

When Dustin and I had Gaby, I was going to school to be a social worker. My mom left her job at the hospital to stay at home and watch her. She then took on a couple of children to make some extra money. This was the best of both worlds. My mom watched Gaby (for free), while Dustin and I worked and finished up college. Gaby was three years old when Kadyn was born. I since then had graduated and landed a job at FSGC. I loved working outside of my house and loved knowing my children were safe at Grammy's house. When K was 5 mo old and Gaby 3 1/2, my mom went into the hospital for a simple out patient surgery. While recovering from her surgery, she had a stroke. This changed our life forever. In one day we never thought... my mom might die, I would have a stranger watch my babies, and we would have someone hit Gaby while in their care. And this leads me to why I do what I do...
After 6 months of horrible care (3 different people), my mom moving into our apartment, and a job that I was close to losing... Dustin and I decided we needed a change! By the grace of God, we bought our house in December 2005, I left my job in January 2006, and opened my home up for daycare the last week in January with one child signed up. Within one month, I had 4 children in my care and felt like a mom again. I knew this was what I was supposed to be doing. From that point on my "never thoughts" were never thought of again.
God has open so many doors for me by staying at home, being with my kids, and giving the care that I want for my kids to others. Another door that has opened is my relationship with my best friend Dawn. Many of you look at her blog, have met her on parents night out, and know of her from when I speak of her. Dawn is a true motivation and a great Child Care provider. We met because I was asking questions on a message board about daycare. She has been in the business 9 years. Together we have put together lesson plans, art projects, and ideas for our daycare that keep us going. She is another reason I do this. On not so great days (that don't happen that much...=) she is there with uplifting words and speaks from experience. Dawn is what I want to be ...when I grow up.
This job isn't the easiest... but who's is? Everyone has ups and downs. But I am a Child Care Provider and very proud of what I do. I teach young children, I makes big messes on a daily bases, and I dance with scarfs. And, that is why I became a Child Care provider.... Thank you!

4 comments:

Molly said...

That is so touching, I'm totally crying at my desk right now. God totally led me to you, I have NO doubt in my mind about that!

Just g said...

Hi
I loved what you said about what you do. I am a professional nanny and former child care center director. It is a wonderful calling and an amazing privilege to be entrusted with loving and caring for someone else's children.
It is a true blessing when people respect and appreciate it.

Mama of 2 P's in a Pod said...

I'm glad the doors in your life have been opened in the way they have been, you are an amazing person so I'm sure the kiddos in your care have a blast every day and their parents have peace of mind leaving them with you! Had we found you a few years ago, the P's would probably be at your house every day too!

BethH said...

Now ya got me in tears, girlie! I loved reading your story of how God led you to where you are today! Amazing! He is sooo good! Durn, another reason why I wish we loved close......