Monday, January 26, 2009

feeling a lil' down in the dumps....really!

So, I am venting, venting, and more venting. Here it goes... I was looking forward to a nice relaxing weekend at home, nothing planed but a birthday party on Sunday. Saturday, I start gathering up a couple loads of laundry and Dustin informs me that the sewer is backed up (which means everything that has gone down from potties, sinks, laundry has come up through my moms shower and the laundry room). We have had this problem in the past and we, meaning Dustin, have been able fix it with his step dad's tools or a simple call to a plumbing service we have used several times. So, on the way back from running some errands I stop of at my Mother in laws to get the tools for Dustin. He spends most of the afternoon and still can not get anything from the pipes. We called our plumbing friends,(which are not my friends anymore) Snake and Rooter. Well, they say they can come out on weekends within an hour... 5 hours later, they had a guy show up. He does the normal clear out the pipes deal and finds nothing. Goes in to my mom's bathroom (downstairs/basement level) and FLOODS her bathroom, doesn't clean it up, doesn't tell anyone he flooded it and still can not find blockage. Then after an hour and half, comes up with the diagnosis of "blockage unknown". For this Rocket Science answer it cost us $150.00 FOR NOTHING! He said we needed the sewer camera so they can look closer. Just for the appointment (on Monday- still leaving us with a crap load of messes-literally- for a day and a half) it will cost another $150.00. We are spending over 300.00 just to find out what the problem is and praying to God that is has a cheap fix. So... needless to say, we are getting another plumber out here today to look at the pipes, run a camera and hopefully get out blockage taken care of.

I am feeling a little stressed, fear, and over-whelmed. Last night Dustin took the kids to Grandma Dee's house to take baths while I cleaned the house. We can't run water, flush, or do showers but as an emergency basis only. I can't wait till 2:30pm comes today and the other plumber comes. I want to know the problem so I can move on and deal with it!

What about insurance you say??? In preparing myself for the worst, a collapsed pipe that cost thousands to fix, we look into our home owners policy and our extra home warranty to see if any of this would be covered... to help ease my stress... No! plumbing is not covered. We pay close to $100.00 a month for policies that suck! They cover things like my stove, sink, my counter tops, garage door opener but plumbing...nope, nada, zippo! So really, I have 2 policies that just give you the illusions that you are covered. And since I can not cancel my home owners insurance due to the house loan people, I just want to call them up and say, "you suck" and "you're not very very helpful" and maybe "your ugly" if I am really mad! (Just for the record, I am writing the first plumbers a nasty gram explaining that people shouldn't charge $150.00 for "blockage unknown") Anyway- I am bummed, I am never prepared for issues like this and I am ready to take a nice long bubble bath in my lime green and black bathroom again! If it ever drains again!

3 comments:

Katie said...

Man Laura I am sorry! I have no words of encouragement other than its finally almost 230. Heath knows how to clean the pipes thing with a snake. You can rent them at Roach's Hardware for almost nothing. At least it seems like nothing since having a plumber come costs so much. A friend told him how to do it and he did fine. Hopefully this doesn't happen again but if you need it snaked, call and we'll help.
Prayin for ya girl!

Unknown said...

I'm thinking of you, Laura. I can imagine your frustration. Hopefully this new plumber will have good news for you!

BethH said...

Oh, man, that stinks! Literally! Did you hae to close down the dayare? Hope it's all fixed up now and the fix was cheap.