Sunday, April 10, 2011

race day...


The day has come... something I thought I would never do.
My first run!
Saturday was my first time to put all the running and training into play- I actually started running 7 short weeks ago. I downloaded an application, couch to 5K. It is a great tool to get non-runner type people running.

I must say, I have had tremendous amount of support through this running process. In this picture is Ericka, she has spent countless late nights running beside me at the gym. We went to high school together and our paths have crossed through our children attending the same school as well as FB. I have said this before and will say it again, there is a hand full of SHES moms that run at the gym- they have held me accountable and I love them for that! E signed up at the same time I did for this run, and even though she is faster then I am (finished in 20 minutes), I am so proud of this girlie and all of her hard work! She rocks!

Before the race- I am still smiling!

Another friend Kim. She has been running for a while. This is one of my sister friends- I love this girl. She always has a big smile on her face and a huge hug to give you! Kim (and Darlene- taking the picture), were such rocks for me- always giving me positive feedback and encouragement when it came to getting ready for this race. These ladies play such an important role in my life.

Getting ready for the race... I thought I was going to puke. I have talked about this day forever now. I was excited, scared, nervous, and just unsure of myself. I have ran 2 miles several times the past 2-3 weeks. This should have been a somewhat simple task for me. The day of the race every bad thought I had ever had about running was filtering through my head- the devil was in my head- and I think he was winning for a while.

I thrive on listening to my music- a dear friend of mine made me an awesome "running" cd that is on my Ipod. I know the song order, I count the songs to help keep my time, and I use the beats to keep my pace. I am dependent on my music. I get into a zone and I am able to run. This race, however stated, no headphones. As it was my first race, I left my music off. I think that was my first huge strike for me.

As the race started, I tried to pace myself... I did fine. I know I am a slower runner and I would not be staying with the people I knew. The route took us through the back side of campus at Washburn University and then on to the side walk. I am running, I stayed focused on my E's pink shirt- as long as I saw her shirt, I was doing ok. As the ran continue- she was kicking butt and I lost her shirt! (Again, I am so proud of her)


During the race... I was keeping at a good pace. I knew I was doing okay. However, not having my music going really started messing me. I had all this time to think about things. How I felt tired, my legs were starting to feel sore, my breathing is off, ect. I even started digging back into childhood memories... how I hated running the 1 mile timed run for the President PE testing, and how I hated running games in school because I could never keep up. Then I flash forward to today and I think, "I am not keeping up anymore". It was that moment I was flooded with emotions, tears were flowing and I stopped running. I had to walk.

I was upset! I had nothing to gauge my time, how slow or fast I was going, or if I was keeping up or not! I was flustered, overwhelmed, and ready to give up!

I turned a corner... I heard the WU cheerleaders cheering and knew I was getting close. At the end of the cheerleaders, I saw my personal cheerleader Darlene. She kept telling how close I was and that I could finished this. Still emotional- Kim and Darlene stayed with me until I finished.

As I entered Moore Bowl, I heard times being called out- I thought for sure I was over 30 minutes for what I thought was going to be this simple 2 mile run. I saw I was close to 23 minutes. With my friends at my side and in the stand (Thanks Kelli for the support girl), I finished my first run. When I crossed over the line I finished at 24.15!

After the race... I was upset! I felt like I had disappointed myself because I had to stop to walk. I thought I was so much slower then I really was. And, I thought I wasn't good enough! I was embarrassed because I never knew running would bring out such an emotional side. Crying at a race, what is that about? But finishing something I never thought I would ever be able to do, is an emotional thing.

After the race was finished, I reflected on the morning- now I can say I am happy with my time. I am good, no... I am great enough to do this, God has blessed me with some uber awesome friends, and I will cry whenever I want to! My hope is that everyone in life will get to experience an event or situation that just brings you down to your lowest point, makes you doubt everything you have ever known and then you look it in the face and find the strength, faith, and courage to overcome it!
Humility, faith, support, encouragement, prayer, strength, emotion, love, exhaust... these are all words that crossed my mind a million times since yesterday morning! I am so pleased to say I finished my first run... it may not have been pretty, but I did it - and in 2 more weeks, I will finish my first 5K.


No comments: