Friday, August 21, 2009

A is for apple

As I stated before preschool activities have started for my older group of kids. The younger one get to participate as they can/want.

Each week we will have a letter of the week. Of course, we started with "A". And what is the easiest image for A... apples! So we ran with it.

This week we played in shaving cream. Not only did we play with shaving cream, we played with Apples in shaving cream...why??? Um, I really don't know, but they made really cool stamps and we had apple shapes all over the table. So, I am really sure that it became educational at some point!
Our next activity was our cooking time... we made apple upside down cake. This was interesting. When I make cake, it comes from a box... not this time, we used flour, butter, sugar...the real stuff to make the cake from start to finish. I had helpers more everything in, stir and peel apples. It took us almost an hour but we had a blast doing it. Plus, we had our afternoon snack ready to go.
Yummy! Okay, I will be honest... it wasn't the great of cakes, but everyone loved it just the same. I actually ended up cutting part of the cake top off so we could eat the apples and brown sugar... now that was the yummy part! But, we get an "A" for effort. (hey, and A for A week...get it??) Okay, moving on!
Along with talking about letters and numbers we try to have a theme. This weeks theme is all about me. Today we decorated mirrors/frames and on the top they said, "I am so special". With this project they could have cared less about the decorating part, they just LOVED that they could see themselves in the mirror. But, they still managed to stop looking at their reflection long enough to make the frames pretty! It was very cute!

No comments: