Thursday, March 5, 2009

My day ending with a bang!

I was off to such a good start... and then I got the phone call! Let me back up a little... today was Gaby's 1st grade performance at school. This concert is a big deal and they have to dress up. Gaby and I went shopping and picked out the perfect dress for the night. During school they had a "dress rehearsal" for the kids/teachers/visitors. She wore a green poka dot polo and jeans shorts to school (it was over 80 degrees today). I get a phone call from the school saying her outfit is not "acceptable" for the rehearsal and if I don't bring solid pants (no jeans) and a solid shirt to school by 2:00, she can not do the practice. I was mad! First of all, she looked fine to perform in front of the school. Second of all, there is no dress code for our school. Third of all, it was hot today and it sucked she had to be in pants. Fourth of all, she had no solid shirts that were not all ready packed up and put away for winter. Fifth of all, no one tells me what my kid can and can not wear! Sixth of all, focus on the performance not what they are wearing. Wow... that is a lot of "of all's"! Anyway, I drove a pair of capri pants up to the school and then talked to the Principal... this rule is stupid. In 2 years of being at the school, I guess I am lucky that this was my first battle. I don't know if my talk will change anything but I feel better!

The cute polo and jean shorts...
The unacceptable outfit


On to Gaby... the above is Gaby posing in her concert dress. She was so excited and promised she would do her best singing. And that she did. The kids put on a 40 minute concert and had every song memorized, and some even had actions too! Gaby even had a specil necklace that Grammy Lana had given to her to wear tonight!

Gaby looked sharp. She was on the front row and full of smiles!

Below: Gaby standing infront of the prop for "Puff the Magic Dragon"

Overall I have to give props to the school and the music teachers. The concert was great, entertaining and fun for parents and the kids. I am proud of my little baby that is growing up. Gaby's concert was the high light of my day. I can not express the feelings I felt watching her on stage. She made me smile, she made me proud, and she made me realize how special it is to have this wonderful little 7 year old as my child. And because of my little girl, my day ended with a bang!

No comments: