Wednesday, March 11, 2009

"I'm not worrying about it, I am praying about it"

My grandmother is 92 (I think) years old. Up until she moved to Kansas City, I saw her 3-4x a week. Now because of the move, I see her once very couple of months. But we still get to talk. I had been trying to get a hold of her by phone for a couple of weeks now. She is never at home since she is doing things with her friends, getting her hair done, or doing some "old person" activity the Towers have to offer. I am grateful she is this active but sad I don't get to see her very often.

Today has been an emotional day... I woke up with a headache, been teary, and worried. This is our first month to have to pay our bills and expenses without the help of Dustin's check. I called my grandma to talk to her. At her age, I have to repeat my side of the conversation several times, but I don't mind, it makes me smile. I have always claimed that my grandma had a hot line to God's ear. Her faith is just that strong. I have often admired her faith and walk with God. Even though Grandma isn't remembering things as she used to, she has a certain gift to relate and comfort people in a time of need! During our conversation I told her about D and loosing his job. This topic bared no repeating or forgetting on her part. She was strong even though I was crying. Her words were uplifting and supporting in a new way that I hadn't heard from my friends and family. Of course, doing the Grandma thing, she offered money, which I respectfully declined, and then asked how "I" was doing. With my strongest attempt I tried to answer without tearing up again! To which she replied, "Oh that good"... again Grandma's words can always make me laugh! After we talked awhile and assured her we were doing okay and our call ended. I left feeling better then when we had started.

A few minutes later the phone rang and it my Grandma. I was shocked...1) she knew my number (again not remembering things so well) and 2) she was calling long distance! She called to ask again about money, the girls, and making sure we were covered. This time around I was smiling and again reassuring her everything was going to be alright. I told her, "Grandma, I don't want you to worry about it" and her reply was, "I'm not worrying about it, I am praying about it".

Her words just lingered on the phone as we both paused. What a thing to say, without missing a beat in our conversation. I told her that is what I needed the most and I was glad she was on my side (again the hot line to God thing coming to play).

I thought I would share that with everyone as it meant a lot to me on a day that I needed it the most! What a special lady I have in my life! And knowing her, she might not even remember saying that in a few hours, but I will!

3 comments:

Katie said...

wow. She's sounds like an awesome lady! And thanks for sharing. I needed to hear that too.

Dawn Estes said...

I'm so glad Grandma could be there for you and pick you up. I miss that...

orgnmaster said...

Your grandma loves you so much... so much. She always talks about how well you and your brother choose mates and how precious the little ones are... (whose names slip away sometimes)

Just know that she loves you. So do I.

Dad