Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Oh holy crud, I am having a moment!

Please excuse me as I melt down for a moment. Yesterday I pick up Gaby and Kadyn from camp. As we are leaving I get this note about a "Back to Nature Prom" on Wednesday. Okay, I get it, a fun little dance- no harm, Gaby is only 9 and Kadyn 6. As soon as we get into the car, Gaby says, "mom... we are having a like this prom dance thing. We have to get a date and like ask a boy or wait and have a boy ask us to the prom."

Um, WHAT??? In a moment, my heart stopped. Did she really mention boys? Did she really act interested in asking a boy? Really... my 9 year old tomboy is really starting to notice boys?

No! I won't let it, I won't accept it, and I don't like it!

During the ride to get snow cones the girls are jamming to Lemonade Mouth. All I am thinking about is how old Gaby seems now. This summer she went on her first real vacation away from me, she is attending summer camps and loving it, and this fall she will be in 4th grade. Sigh. As I think of how fast the past nine years has really gone, I fade back even further in memories to when I was in fourth grade.

Oh crud, now I am really having a moment. I remember how the 4th grade seemed like a huge year for me. I had my first "official" boyfriend. We all meet around the "Big Toy" at recess and we girls got picked by the boys- I was so excited because I was picked by the boy I liked. How crazy that seems now. The fourth grade was the year I had my first kiss. I remember that too- I tried to get out of it by telling him I had a tooth ache. It didn't work. It was also the year I started developing... the girls. It was the year I needed glasses. It was the year my best friend moved away.

Deep in thought- we finally arrived to our snow cone destination- I reassured myself Gaby will be fine. This is natural for her and while I know I can not protect her from everything that will happen in her life, she will be okay! She is excited for the prom. We even talked about a friend, that is a boy, but is only a friend, that she might like stand by! At this point, my heart started beating normal again. My little peanut that gave me the title of "mom" is growing up! I don't want to freeze time but I wish it would slow down just a little.

No comments: