Wednesday, June 10, 2009

I have homework.... agh!

Okay, it really isn't that bad but I still have to do homework. Yesterday I posted about starting a new program to motivate and to try new things in in my daycare program. The orientation was last night and provided an overview of what the next several meetings would be about. It was a good night. Our trainers discussed some good issues that I want to learn about and perhaps incorporate into our day.
Above is Dawn and I with our fun and entertaining ERC leaders, Michelle and Karla. They made the class interesting yet not boring, which is good, because you all know when I get bored, I get into trouble. I so want to be like these ladies when I grow up! =)

One of our first topics of discussion was simplifying the day... what??? You mean it isn't a good thing that I have circle time, art, science, centers and so on??? It was stated last night " that art from daycare is not a receipt". I thought this was interesting because I know I feel like I have to prove to my parents that we are "doing stuff" during our day. I don't want to be known as "the babysitter", but as an educator. To me, it is all about balance... not everyday we have art to take home but everyday we are learning. We have our free play, dress up, walks through the garden ect. but we also have our ABC time, book time, and center time. I am looking forward to the next time we meet to hear more about the concept and ideas around the simplfily the daycare day.
Now, on to my one of the first assignments...
We are to email Michelle some pictures of an area around our program that we think "works" for us!
Here is what I came up with....
My back yard... I love the size, the openiness, the balence of toys and nature, and of course our garden in the back. We could spend all day outside and take so much from the day.


The second place that I love is my "learning area" aka dining room! This is where we do art, circle time, bake, create, and much more. I gave up on an "adult" dining room set up because I wanted the kids to have a space for them to explore and learn and I think we have it here!

1 comment:

Dawn Estes said...

I love the openiness of your yard, too! :o) No seriously - your outside play space is great!