Monday, June 29, 2009

Chapter 2 in my daycare training...

In a past post, I spoke about a program/training I was starting to help motivate, educate, and learn new ideas for running my home daycare. Our first assignment was to look over our environment and routines. The basic concepts from our book making sure we are allowing time for activities, free play, and being flexible. Observation was another key component as well. We, as the providers are supposed to step back and allow for exploring.
So, are you telling me to scrap my entire routine, learning activities, and structure? I had to raise the point that I sell myself and my daycare based on my routine and activities because I know as a parent that is what I want. I want to know my child is "doing" and "learning" something. I always thought flexiable and laid back meant lazy and kids watching TV all day.
Summer time childcare is a little different then our school year childcare. It is more flexible, laid back, the kids have more free time, and more control of what they want to do. I started thinking... I know... crazy. What can I do to keep my school year routine like summer but still get the learning concepts involved as well. These are changes I want to see... a day like today is a perfect example how we used our outside classroom to play, explore, and just be kids!

This morning we tended to our herb garden. By far the most like herb is basil. After we watered and weeded, each kiddo that wanted got to pick off a leaf and try it. The responses were great. I heard about the texture, taste and even the difference in colors. Even one of the little ones spit it out and said, "yucky". Now, you tell me those kids weren't learning something... so simple, yet so effective!
The kids ran around for a while... then it was time to look at the garden. We watered parts of it and looked at what veggies were coming in. The ones that were noticed the most were the tomatoes. We counted them and it was pointed out some were green and some were red. So, I ran inside and grabbed a book about gardening to tie in our "nature" time into an outside circle time!
Here is our own Peanut Gallery Daycare softball team... we are learning about taking turns, sportsmanship, and some rules of the game.
After our morning was coming to an end, the kids came inside and were able to choose the menu for our picnic. They ended up going with hot dogs, watermelon, and baked chips. We also made a pitcher of ice tea to make our morning complete.

Our book, "Reflecting Children lives" talks about providing a child-centered curriculum. This where we slow down to make sure kids can be kids. "Paying attention to all the possibilities of beauty, curiosity, delight, and a sense of community".
In looking at the program I run, I like my balance. I like that we can play outside then come in and read books and circle time. I like doing dress up and free play then coming together and doing art at the table. Can I allow for more free play? Sure. Can I allow for more exploring? Sure. Can I be more flexible in our daily activities? Sure. My brain is turning...
I have some ideas that will be creating some more child-centered areas coming soon... I will be sure to post the new and fun happenings coming around! I am excited and I know the kids will enjoy it too!
Check back for Chapter 3 ramblings soon!

2 comments:

Molly said...

Is my daughter hiding during all these pictures? I didn't see her at all. She must be clinging to your leg =)

Dawn Estes said...

You Rock! I am so glad we're exploring our options together and going on this journey - I think it'll be great for us and the kids and all the families! Love all the pictures!