Thursday, February 12, 2009

Is this week over yet?

Normally I am not that anxious about a week coming to an end. We are a busy family and love running around and living our life to the fullest. This is not the case this week, each day I am counting hours down until the evening comes and I can work out (cheap therapy) and go to bed.

Monday morning Dustin lost his job. It wasn't because of hard times or his company is going under but a personal matter. Basically he was thrown under the bus by co-workers and it lead up to this. Things have not been great at this company for a while. We know and believe that God know what is in store our Dustin and our family. I just have to trust. This is a hard concept for me. It is an emotional ride I must say. And it is still so new to us. I know God will provide. It will be okay and we will look back at this time and say, "it all happened for a reason".

To make the week worse, Gaby's birthday hamster Sammy died. Sunday night Dustin notice she didn't look right. He did some research and we just thought she was getting a cold like we have all had. Well, Monday morning the poor thing isn't moving. We thought about switching her out and replacing her no problem. I... had... mom... guilt. I couldn't do it, I couldn't keep this from Gaby. While Gaby was at school, Dustin cleaned out the cage, bought a new hamster and had Sammy in a box ready for a burial.

Gaby came home from school and I broke the news to her, she was very teary and started to cry then I told her about the new one and she chirped back up. We took the girls outside and they got to tell Sammy good bye and talk about their memories of her. As you can see in the picture, Gaby thought it was some what cool that we were have a funeral for the hamster. Really- she was emotional at first.

That after noon she was quick to have her new pet named and welcomed into our house. I am happy that "Sage" will be in our life but sad Sammy is no longer with us.

I remember a song my mom taught me when I was growing up. We would sing it in the car when running errands or whatever... The song "Side by Side"

Oh! we aint got a barrel of money
Maybe were ragged and funny
But well travel along
Singing a song
Side by side

I don't know whats a-comin tomorrow
Maybe its trouble and sorrow
But well travel the road
Sharing our load
Side by side

Thru all kinds of weather
What if the sky should fall
Just as long as were together
It really doesn't matter at all

When they've all had their quarrels and parted
Well be the same as we started
Just traveling along
Singing a song
Side by side

What words to draw from when I think I am at a low in my life. I think to myself, God will be there with me, "Side by Side". And, I don't know what is going tomorrow but He does and I draw comfort from that as well!








4 comments:

Katie said...

I'm here if you and Dustin need anything. The kids can come and play sometime if you guys need some down time. Just let us know and we'll be praying for you guys.

Shawn said...

Hi Laura. I'm Shawn, a former coworker and current friend of Dustin's. I've only worked here for a couple of months, but I wanted you to know that I did not throw Dustin under the bus, nor did I ever speak ill of him.

I can't speak for anyone else (because I honestly don't know), but I wanted you to know that.

-Shawn

Jenny Wilcox said...

I always sing the song from the kids Veggie Tales CD, "My God is so big, so strong and so mighty, there's nothing my God cannot do" when I need to remember that God is with me no matter what is going on. God will see you through this.
Jenny

BethH said...

Awwww, your post is making me all teary eyed! Isn't it great that we have a Maker who knows more about what is going on than we do. Thank HIM during these tough times and know he has something better in store! Can't wait to see what God has planned for Dustin next....what a ride, my dear! Hang tight..and know I"m praying too.

~~Jeremiah 29:11~~