Thursday, July 17, 2014

Just a little post for Gaby!

Gaby has been on my mind lately. Not sure if it is because middle school is lurking around the corner, summer is going by waayyy to fast, or if it is the fact she is just growing up.

When I was in middle school, I started to become over weight. And I have battled my weight ever since. I wanted to talk with Gaby and just let her know my story growing up so she would not be following in my foot steps.

Gabs is an active girl... but she likes her computer games, like her dad. She loves soccer however that is not year round. So, tonight I challenged her to do a run every day for the rest of the summer. Then hopefully she could still do it once school starts. She was game. I talked about making good eating choices and told her we could do it together, as a family. Gaby liked the idea. Talking about her weight wasn't a huge deal, she isn't self conscious about it and what people think of her doesn't matter to her- really, where does she get that? 

I love this kid.

I love her outlook and her corky personality.

Tonight as we talked she was sorting her tee shirts and folding them. When I asked her, why are you doing this, she replied, you told me I was going to learn to do my own laundry. "Isn't tomorrow my laundry day?".  I had forgotten I had told her that- yet she remembered and was taking the first step.

No, She isn't perfect but man I wish I was a little more like her- (she is a lot like her dad in so many ways)

I want more nights like this when I sit on her bed, just talking. It was a great reminder to slow down and listen to her while she still wants to talk to me.

It was a nice time to see what a great girl she is and how mature she can be.

I knew at an early age Gaby would love big, like everyone, and be a great friend to those around her.

I always joke that we are test parenting with Gaby and we will get it right with the other four children. However, Gaby has made it easy to parent, that is for sure.

Tonight I was reminded, that she won't be under our roof forever, cherish the times we have, talk often, and listen more.

Just a little post for my Gaby-Goo. I love her so and I am happy for the talks we have and for the person she is growing up to be. Man, time could sure slow down, just a little. 


No comments: